Discussion of Fedora Server use-cases

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 14:11:14 UTC 2013

On 10/28/2013 01:48 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Mon, 2013-10-28 at 13:32 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> On 10/28/2013 12:55 PM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>>> == My initial thoughts ==
>>> I am open to counter-arguments, naturally.
>> I'm just going straight to the overlapping issues we have between the
>> WG's as in we need to establish the fundamental approach of which
>> applications belong to our group.
>>
>> Basically where I stand any application that runs daemon/service as in
>> it's an application (or set of applications) that runs in the background
>> waiting to be used, or carrying out essential tasks on an pyshical/vm or
>> in container or in other words basically it's an systemd/upstart/sysv
>> unit/service or an container that can be started and enable with the
>> systemd and service commands and is not part of the desktop/graphical
>> target ( such as gdm.service which thus makes it part of the workstation
>> group ), as well is not part of the base/coreOS ( like device mapper etc
>> ) it belongs within the server WG.
> I tentatively agree, although I guess there may be desktop-oriented
> daemons we may not care about. Say a desktop-oriented backup daemon,
> that is sort of single user or anyway ill-suited for a multi-user
> server.

You never deploy a desktop on a server so I would say we would limit
this to a base/coreOS a set of administrative tools + a single
application and or a application stack and the way we would deliver the
products would be something that we would limit to netinstall + ks or
something that integrades well with provisioning tools

JBG