Discussion of Fedora Server use-cases

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Mon Oct 28 19:15:46 UTC 2013

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" (johannbg at gmail.com) said:
> You never deploy a desktop on a server so I would say we would limit
> this to a base/coreOS a set of administrative tools + a single
> application and or a application stack and the way we would deliver
> the products would be something that we would limit to netinstall +
> ks or something that integrades well with provisioning tools

I wouldn't say "never", given that somewhere around 20% of the users of a
Fedora-downstream distribution do install a desktop on their server, as of
a random sampling of a user subset done a while back.

Given, that sample should be followed up on to see *why* they do it
(unfamiliarity with CLI/used to Windows, bad defaults in installer, other
reasons?). In fact, if we're being forward looking where *everything* is
deployed at large-scale, then this number should be expected to go down as
fewer people are doing single-digit deployments. But the need may still
exist for some people.

Bill