Discussion of Server Working Group governance

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 29 20:26:15 UTC 2013

On 10/29/2013 06:21 PM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 1:55 PM, Stephen Gallagher<sgallagh at redhat.com>  wrote:
>> The first goal of the Working Group process is to plan our governance
>> process for future members of the Server Working Group. I think the
>> place we should start is by gathering a list of requirements that a
>> governance charter will need to keep in mind. I'll list my thoughts
>> below, please raise your own concerns as well.
> Proposals in-line; in general, I prefer not worrying about this too
> much / not inventing too much now, and getting to the real work
> instead.  We can adjust the rules after a few months when we see what
> is/isn't working.

Agreed

>> == Voting Members ==
>>   * Number of voting members for the Working Group.
> Let's assume to continue with 9.
>
>>   * How long a term do the voting members serve?
> FESCo-like, 2 groups of 1 year each, overlapping for 6 months.

How about not copy other governing structures try a new approach ;)

It's better, more fairer and efficient, to no be voting et all but
simply make up the server WG with representatives from each sub
community as in one of each from these groups
documentation,ambassadors,qa,releng,marketing,design,website and the
rest from the server community and have them chose within themselves who
will be representing on their behalf and for how long.

Once we as in the initial group members are happy about the
transformation process from server application to server "product" from
all angles of the related communities as in
doc,qa,releng,ambassadors,marketing,website,design and server and have
successfully pushed through several products through that process ( to
try and tested it ), we step down and let the new governing structure
take over.

JBG