Discussion of Fedora Server use-cases

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Tue Oct 29 21:58:31 UTC 2013

On Mon, Oct 28, 2013 at 5:06 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
<johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you want people to actually want to package and maintain server
> applications in the distribution and have them work towards making them
> "product ready" and be presented and advertised and made available as an
> "product" the answer to that question is yes we want to strive to cover 500+
> applications.

The way I think about it, we should strive to have 500+ "applications"
available _for_ the Server (whether they are obscure Open Source
services, or custom company-only functionality developed internall)

> If you dont want people to contribute to Fedora by not giving them that
> option or just make products out of what RH maintains or otherwise just want
> to put competing products at disadvantage ( think 389ds vs openldap, xen vs
> kvm etc )

... but the Server shouldn't ship 500 "services" as an integrated part
of the product (are there even that many services to provide?).
Regarding the "competing products", I'd go as far as to say that the
Server should give the users a "good LDAP server" without exposing
which upstream project is internally providing the functionality -
even possibly switching the upstream projects on an upgrade if one of
them started to fall behind.
    Mirek