Discussion of Fedora Server use-cases

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 30 00:23:19 UTC 2013

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 10:48:09PM +0100, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> The latest generation, redhat-config-*, were, IIRC, written over a
> comparatively short period of time (ISTR they all happened within a
> year!), and covered basically all of the major server functions at the
> time - networking, httpd, bind, mail, ...)

These were all renamed to system-config-* in the early days of Fedora, and
in fact they're still around (if, as you note, largely actually abandoned
code).

> (Historical corrections very much welcome.  Also, while one lesson
> from the history is that "it can be done", another is "it has been
> done and it then has been abandoned" - it would be interesting to know
> _why_ the tools have been abandoned.  I haven't been working at Red
> Hat at that time, so I don't know the reasons.)

I wasn't either and I equally don't know, but I can tell you why they
weren't useful to me at the time:

1) no handling of multiple machines (or even remote connections to a
   single machine)
2) little cohesive ux design (this did get iteratively better)
3) some of them didn't work very well (*cough* samba)
4) generally, you had to commit to using them and never touching the
   config files by hand
5) I was operating in an environment with Red Hat Linux, Debian,
   Other-Linux-Flavor-Of-The-Day, BSDI, NetBSD, netbh Solaris, SunOS, IRIX, Tru64,
   and, um, VMS. All the various single-vendor GUIs just brought more pain.

I would certainly add "no API" to the list of complaints _now_, but I'm not
ashamed to admit that that wasn't on list of sysadmin concerns a decade ago.

Some of the above might be instructional, some of it might just be stories
about the olden days. :)