Discussion of Fedora Server use-cases

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 00:38:45 UTC 2013

On 10/30/2013 12:23 AM, David Strauss wrote:
> Without trying to directly reply to anyone in particular, here are my
> primary interests:
>
>   * Container host management, including at scale (10k containers per
> host with container hibernation and migration capability)
>   * Working with upstream and packagers to have first-class systemd
> support, including native units and outsourcing privilege dropping,
> logging, and socket listening to systemd. Maximize use of isolation
> for capabilities, privileges, and namespaces. Continually raise the
> bar for uniformity of configuration and management tools.
>   * No packaged config shipping to /etc (system and services should use
> defaults with empty /etc)
>
> Ideally, this would mean services would ship in a way packaged to
> install and run from a container, much like BIND sort of does now with
> chroot. This model is useful for security, traditional multi-purpose
> servers, and high-density compute usage.

Agreed however we need the ability to assign exclusive physical
interfaces to the container as well as creating a dynamic link
aggregation of several nic's in the parent/global container root and
allowing each container to create virtual interfaces on this aggregation
as well as have the ability to assign a virtual nic to a container
directly over some physical NIC on the global/parent container server. (
which ofcourse requires networking belonging to systemd before doing so )

Ones that has been achieve we can start looking into supporting HA
containers and other stuff as well properly integrate it into the cloud.

We also need to kill /etc/sysconfig ( or deliver it empty as you
proposed ) and rework the entire units in the distribution with
containers and virtualsation as well as hardware activation in mind

JBG