Discussion of Fedora Server use-cases

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 13:30:37 UTC 2013

> I agree with this completely, and it's one of the principal drivers of
> the OpenLMI project[1] (full disclosure: I'm heavily involved in this
> effort).
>
> Under the hood, we have abstracted large amounts of the underlying
> subsystems of the Linux system into a set of CIM object models and
> exposed them as a stable API. We've then gone and built a scripting
> environment (using the python language; nothing new to learn like
> PowerShell) and cli "meta-command" builder[2].
>
> Right now, we don't have any public GUI consuming this interface
> because our research among Red Hat's customers strongly indicated that
> real-world administrators care more about a scriptable interface than
> they do a GUI. That's not to say that there is zero interest in such a
> GUI, but that it's secondary to getting day-to-day, repetitive tasks done.
>
> Also, to head off some of the NIH concerns that may be in your mind
> after reading the earlier discussion about the system-config-* UIs,
> the OpenLMI project is currently being developed jointly by several
> companies, led by Red Hat but with contributors from Dell, SUSE and
> others.

I'm not foreseeing anyone around these parts deploy and use the CIM
behemoth after I attended the presentation of it devconf brno this year.

Maybe to much learning curve and training for to little infrastructure
to make it worth while, had a part in reaching that conclusion as well
as fact I think it got mentioned on that presentation that there was
cross OS interoperability issues with it ( if memory servers me correct ).

JBG