Server product kernel requirements

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 30 14:16:31 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I realize the WG is just forming up and you have a lot of other items
to cover for now, but I wanted to get this sent out and have people
start thinking about it sooner rather than later.

The kernel team is interested in what the Server WG sees as its
requirements for the kernel package.  Does today's kernel image mostly
suit those needs already, or are there changes that would be
beneficial?

While you think about this, please keep in mind that the kernel team
really wants to keep a single kernel package across all 3 products as
much as possible.  We won't scale to providing multiple kernel
packages or vmlinux binaries for each product.  At the moment, we're
essentially looking for a good "core" kernel package that suits cloud,
server, and workstation and then at repackaging the drivers into
subpackages where appropriate.

If you have changes you'd like to see, please let us know what they
are and the reasoning behind those changes.  Hopefully we can work
with all 3 WGs and come up with something suitable for everyone.
Thanks for your time.

josh