Server product kernel requirements

David Strauss david at davidstrauss.net
Wed Oct 30 20:45:53 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 11:32 AM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
<johannbg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/30/2013 05:51 PM, David Strauss wrote:
>> The latter. We'd want a separate HPC group for 512+ core machines.
> I dont see why so please explain?

HPC architecture involves atypical services, hardware, and frameworks
versus normal server computing, even compared to thousands of cloud
machines. Wikipedia has some good coverage of popular approaches [1].
A properly built kernel is an essential part of an HPC deployment,
particularly with respect to the scheduler and memory management.
Build options appropriate for embedded all the way to normal servers
are often inappropriate for HPC.

SUSE Linux has a large following in HPC, but it's not just a product
of their general server work.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Parallel_computing