Fedora Server WG Meeting Minutes (2014-04-15)

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Apr 15 16:23:45 UTC 2014

#fedora-meeting-1: Server Working Group Weekly Meeting (2014-04-15)

Meeting started by adamw at 15:05:57 UTC. The full logs are available at
http://meetbot.fedoraproject.org/fedora-meeting-1/2014-04-15/fedora-meeting-1.2014-04-15-15.05.log.html
.

Meeting summary
---------------
* roll call  (adamw, 15:06:19)
  * present: adamw, mizmo, tuanta, mitr, nirik, simo  (adamw, 15:09:22)
  * Agenda Item: Drafting a test plan  (adamw, 15:09:56)
  * Agenda Item: Should we have a default caching DNS server?  (adamw,
    15:10:15)
  * Agenda item: Remote journal logging  (adamw, 15:13:39)
  * also present: davidstrauss  (adamw, 15:13:44)

* Drafting a test plan  (adamw, 15:14:05)
  * adamw has volunteered himself to draft a broad initial test plan for
    the Server product, an attempt to define the required scope of test
    coverage to validate a Server release  (adamw, 15:17:13)
  * nirik suggests checking for already-existing upstream test plans
    (e.g. freeipa, postgresql)  (adamw, 15:17:52)
  * simo suggests simple deployment of domain controller role on server
    machine and domain join / user creation on a Workstation machine as
    a basic smoke test for domain controller role  (adamw, 15:24:12)

* Should we have a default caching DNS server?  (adamw, 15:28:57)
  * davidstrauss and jsmith have found caching DNS very valuable in
    real-world deployments  (adamw, 15:30:01)
  * there is an effort underway to write a plugin for NetworkManager to
    integrate with unbound, which appears to be the WG's caching
    nameserver of choice, but it is on track for F22 not F21  (adamw,
    15:38:18)
  * ACTION: simo to work with virtualization and networking folks to
    make sure any caching DNS plans consider libvirt's use of dnsmasq
    (adamw, 15:40:55)
  * AGREED: We would like the Server product to have DNS caching
    functionality by default, but we believe this can be done at a
    project-wide level as of Fedora 22 and do not intend to NIH it for
    the Server product only Fedora 21  (adamw, 15:44:26)
  * simo will try to act as liaison to the folks working on NM/unbound
    integration  (adamw, 15:45:54)

* Remote journal logging  (adamw, 15:46:56)
  * see devel@ thread "F21 Self Contained Change: Remote Journal
    Logging",
    https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2014-April/197980.html
    (adamw, 15:47:53)
  * simo has concerns about the security of the proposed design
    (suggests kerberos as a better framework than https)  (adamw,
    15:49:29)
  * it looks like we all have some reservations regarding the new
    proposed systemd remote logging functionality, and expect to stick
    with rsyslog for the foreseeable future for Server  (adamw,
    16:00:00)

Meeting ended at 16:02:49 UTC.

Action Items
------------
* simo to work with virtualization and networking folks to make sure any
  caching DNS plans consider libvirt's use of dnsmasq

Action Items, by person
-----------------------
* simo
  * simo to work with virtualization and networking folks to make sure
    any caching DNS plans consider libvirt's use of dnsmasq
* **UNASSIGNED**
  * (none)

People Present (lines said)
---------------------------