Deadlines

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Fri Feb 21 01:34:17 UTC 2014

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 08:14:08 PM Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> On 02/20/2014 08:05 PM, David Timothy Strauss wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Adam Williamson
> >
> > <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> "You might install NetworkManager-config-server, which drops
> >> some server-type config files into /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d
> >> that do things like ignoring the carrier on all interfaces and
> >> ensuring NM never creates the default DHCP connections that are
> >> useful on desktops.  There are other options in there, like
> >> making NM stop touching /etc/resolv.conf if you know you never
> >> need to update it.  See "man NetworkManager.conf" for more
> >> details on all these options."
> >>
> >> sounds like something we might want?
> >
> > That's presuming Fedora Server will prefer NetworkManager over the
> > new systemd v209 network units, which are quickly reaching parity
> > and have some nice service integration capability.
>
> For the immediate future, I'd like to say that, yes, Fedora Server
> will be supporting NetworkManager. This is in large part due to its
> maturity and extremely powerful public D-BUS API. That's not to say
> that networkd won't be an option in the future, but at this point in
> time, I think we'll probably want to go with the known quantity.
>
> Would you mind going into more detail about why you think we might
> want to pick systemd network units, though? Last I had heard
> (admittedly a while ago), there were no plans for it to support any of
> the more complicated network setups like bridging and multipath, which
> are pretty much showstoppers in my mind for a server.

According to "[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd 209" [1], it looks like some
of the server-level options are available.

I would also like to see support for this as well.

-A

1. http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-February/017146.html

8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E