Deadlines

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 15:57:24 UTC 2014

On 02/21/2014 03:33 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 15:19 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> On 02/21/2014 03:16 PM, Simo Sorce wrote:
>>> It has a funded team to work on it and to care for Server specific
>>> cases.
>> Irrelevant to Fedora and perhaps RH should start re-allocating resources
>> to networkd
> It is very relevant to Fedora which upstream projects are funded and for
> what work, because Fedora does not do very much Upstream work, it is a
> downstream from this POV.

Care to clarify that statement as in how is this more relevant to Fedora
as opposed to any other downstreams that package and ship NM and any
other project for that matter.

> I appreciate you like systemd-networkd however *that* doesn't matter.
> Right now NM is a better technical choice.
>
>>> The systemd-networkd support, at the moment, is a limited tool for some
>>> special cases and arguably should remain just that.
>>>
>>> So at the moment NM is the best technical choice for us too.
>>
>> I thought the .next and wg effort was aiming for the "future" not basing
>> itself on to be obsoleted technology.
> Well before you declare NM as "obsolete" you need to prove that it is.

Like is being done with openlmi and cockpit compared to everything that
exist out there.

>> Networkd is going to be providing the network infrastructure for
>> embedded/server
> at the moment Networkd can be classified as "immature", so it can be the
> basis for a Fedora Server. Once that situation will change we can
> certainly revisit this.

And openlmi and cockpit are considered being mature?

JBG