Deadlines

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Feb 21 18:06:50 UTC 2014

Am 21.02.2014 18:57, schrieb Adam Williamson:
> On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 15:21 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> No, you are wrong.
>>>
>>> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7(.0) will default to NetworkManager, and even if all resources that are presently on
>>> NetworkManager were dropped today and focused on networkd, we'd still need a long ongoing investment in actively
>>> maintaining it both for the ongoing server case *and* for the client case  (GNOME is deeply invested in NM)
>>
>> you missed the "on server installs"
>>
>> so the question is valid in case we talk about *Fedora server*, F21 is delayed because
>> Fedora.next / Fedora products and so systemd-209 should not be the target for F21 and
>> even considered for F20 in it's release cycle after systemd-208 is not that bugfree
>>
>> that RHEL7 defaults to NM is no argumentation for Fedora
>> systemd-209 simply was not available for RHEL7 target
>> the same as systemd was not for RHEL6 which uses hence upstart
>
> It's taken, what, 7-8 Fedora cycles, 3-4 years, and one entire RHEL
> cycle for NetworkManager to be in a state where RH considers it
> acceptable as a default for RHEL 7.

fine - and that is why RHEL is irrelevant in the context

> Why are we assuming systemd-networkd shows up and will be good enough
> for us overnight?

why not?

* nobody is porting "network.service" to a systemd-unit
* NM is a no-go for most people on servers i know (except Simon)

> Has anyone who's saying it's The Future and we should
> switch to it immediately even run it yet?

dow w ehave a systemd-209 somewhere
frankly i can't await to start testing systemd-networkd and get rid of
systemd-208 on Fedora, things can only get better like with systemd-208