Deadlines

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Feb 21 18:16:54 UTC 2014

Am 21.02.2014 19:09, schrieb Adam Williamson:
> On Fri, 2014-02-21 at 19:06 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> do we have a systemd-209 somewhere
>
> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=499417 - build
> failed on ARM. But if you haven't even built it locally and tried it
> yet...

that's not the point

* currently nobody knows details but many have qualified guesses
* systemd replaced much complexer things than network.service
* on 99 out of 100 servers you don't want more than network.service
* on 99 out of 100 servers you don't want the NM dependency-chain
* you have all the systemd code already in the system
* you can expect systemd controls systemd-networkd.service better than
  the old fashinoed LSB network.service i expect it to work relieable
* we are talking about *future*

so you won't get people like me in a direction to accept NM at all
well, we had to suck systemd in F15 and survived
so *now* that we survived we want to have it finished
have systemd finished means no LSB/SysV-Init service on the system
the payback have NM instead network.service is not accepted

guess what happens the next few years

people running Fedora on static network interfaces and hate
NetworkManager as much someone can hate software will use it
anyways - the same people would even write there own ifup
systemd-units if "network.service" would get dropped without
a replacement which is not NM