Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

Bill Nottingham notting at redhat.com
Tue Feb 25 20:58:21 UTC 2014

Stephen Gallagher (sgallagh at redhat.com) said:
> > === Display manager ===
> >
> > gdm will be used as the display manager. It is responsible for
> > showing a login screen on each seat. It will be able to launch
> > both X-based sessions and Wayland sessions.
> >
> > Desktop environments are expected to make themselves known as an
> > available session option on the login screen by dropping a
> > .desktop file into /usr/share/xsessions (or its wayland
> > equivalent).
> >
> > Other facilities provided by the display manager include screen
> > unlock authentication and user switching.
> >

> Display manager is irrelevant to the Server product.

Admittedly, this is rehashing a bit of an old discussion, but we have
(RHEL) stats that somewhere around 20% of server installs install a desktop.

If Fedora Server wants to explicitly not serve those users, it's worth
noting specifically. If it wants to serve them by offering some sort of
environment that boots into just cockpit + terminal + web browser, it's
worth specifying the requirements there.

Bill