multi-instantiating services via systemd

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Tue Feb 25 23:01:41 UTC 2014

On Tue, 2014-02-25 at 21:37 +0000, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Simo Sorce <simo at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > It's unclear to me how you'd share the same port between all these
> > vhosts in a systemd world. Would the unit run a script that
> > enables/disables the various configs and then just reload the main
> > apache process configuration ?
> >
> vhosts are a bad example I guess since stock httpd supports them well.
> But with httpd you still may want one instance that's acting as a
> static frontend + proxy, and then perhaps you have "app servers" behind
> it which link in perl or whatever into the server.
>
> Databases may be a better example - while I imagine a lot of people
> dedicate machines to a single database, there are valid reasons to have
> separate multi-instantiated instances too.

An example of application that already handle smulti instance
configurations is 389-ds-base, I suggest people look at how they manage
multiple instances via systemd and figure out if it is sufficient or
needs changing and uniform on some other method.

I would like to have a unified guideline for these scenarios too.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York