default file system, was: Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Feb 27 20:01:47 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 07:43:53AM -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> I realize that XFS is a difficult pill to swallow for /boot, due to
> your use of syslinux instead of GRUB2. If the Server and Workstation
> groups decide to settle on both using XFS-on-LVM for the main
> partitions, we could *probably* also compromise on using ext4 for just
> /boot.

Right now, the cloud images are unpartitioned. In some cloud providers
(e.g., the 800lb gorilla of Amazon EC2) we in fact use the kernel that
assumes the image is just one partition, not a disk image. We could change
that (and I kind of want to anyway, for consistency), but it would be...
change. Having a separate /boot is also problematic (read: wasteful) for
ultra-small images, and adds complexity a lot of users are going to frown
at. So..... if by "/boot" you mean "the partition that /boot happens to be
on, even if it is /", then I think we're good. Otherwise we will have to
figure something else out.