Fedora Server Use Cases Prioritization

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Tue Jan 7 15:19:26 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Marcela Mašláňová <mmaslano at redhat.com> wrote:
>> I think the "deploy and configure" aspect for specific server uses
>> (e.g. how to get from an application package to an installed and
>> running database and web server) would be handled by Server and Cloud
>> products; what we would like to get from software collections or
>> something similar is a way to _run_ an application (e.g. have all
>> dependencies available, without focusing on the web server in
>> particular), in a way that can be shipped within the Server product.
>>       Mirek
>>
> I'd say it's working fine now. If you think it's not true, then you have to
> go into more detail.

At this very moment, I'm holding off upgrading to F20 because my Rails
application (set up to run against the system-wide RPMs) will no
longer work.

Now I'm not saying that the sky is falling, or that this must
necessarily be solved by having RPMs of everything within Fedora;
however if we want Server to allow deploying "e.g. Rails applications"
and if I'm allowed to interpret that as "applications using e.g. Rails
without having been ported to the very last version", we need a
reasonably supportable mechanism that doesn't expose our users to
unmanageable security vulnerabilities.

For all I know, perhaps "just use upstream gems" might be an
acceptable solution...  I'm not sure how I'd feel about requiring an
explicitly-out-of-Fedora COPR repo.

In any case, do need to agree on an approach.
     Mirek