Requirements to promote to featured Server Role

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Tue Jan 7 15:54:11 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 6, 2014 at 10:46 PM, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:
> This is a first draft, please add or criticize as necessary.

Late again, I'm afraid... fundamentally this seems to indicate that
each of the roles can implement the requirements in a different way
(e.g. "one-click install" via (yum groupinstall) for one, (wget &&
unzip) for another, (gem install) for third, and (curl | sh) for yet
another); and this just wouldn't do IMHO.

Below is my work-in-progress formulation from the use cases (using the
same numbering), I'm afraid I won't be able to reconcile it with your
proposal in time.
     Mirek

* [1,5] Implement the unified role deployment mechanism allowing for:
  - No-interaction installation in default state
    (?) What if a service absolutely needs e.g. a private key pair?
  - Deployment of a pre-configured service based on a configuration file
    ... possibly generated by a GUI
    The configuration file format is expected to remain backward compatible.
  - Re-deployment of a previously deployed service, using the same data
    and configuration as the old deployment
    ... probably sharing most of the mechanism with the above point
    ... this allows for [5], and software upgrades
* [1,2] Expose well-chosen and stable set of settings via the system-wide
        configuration mechanism, to be queried and set.
  The exposed settings are expected to remain backward compatible.
* [2] Automatically integrate into the system-wide monitoring system.
  No user configuration should be necessary to get a basic set of values;
  further tweaking not prohibited.
* [3] Fully implement and use $specified system-wide settings
  (e.g. a LDAP source for account information, CA certificates, other domain
  configuration.)