Fedora Server PRD Draft and call for participation

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Tue Jan 21 21:47:23 UTC 2014

> Stephen Gallagher (sgallagh at redhat.com) said:
> > > Admittedly late, but...
> > >
> > > Vision
> > >
> > > Fedora Server is the preferred [community] platform for system
> > > administrators and developers seeking to deploy applications and
> > > services that use the latest technology on a stable foundation with
> > > effective resource utilization.
> > >
> > > How does this differentiate from the market position of CentOS
> > > (community platform for deploying apps and services on a stable
> > > platform)? Do we care if it doesn't?
> > >

> > *latest technology* on a stable foundation.
> >
> > Basically, we're committing to focusing on stable support of newer
> > tech than CentOS does (at the time of this writing).
>
> OK, that's a very small point of differentiation, though. (espeically once
> CentOS variants gets going.)

We can change things if we find out we are invading each other space,
but I do not think that will be the case.

Personally I see Fedora Server as slightly 'stabler' than current
Fedora, but still quite leading in the software stacks and versions you
deploy on top. Simply more server workloads focused.

For example we are not considering having a 'stabler' kernel or any sort
of ABI promise.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York