Fedora server implementation straw man

Michael R. Davis mrdvt92 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 28 06:12:58 UTC 2014

Fedora Server Folks,

> Users can decide they don't care about our valueadding/glue and
> remove fedora-server-freeipa and it will just go back to a machine
> with all those packages installed (ie, uninstalling shouldnt
> hopefully do anything other than allow them to remove required
> packages and ignore our old glue).

I'm hoping that the building blocks are modular enough that users can put together their own server roles.  I had not been following the group recently as I thought our visions had diverged (and I'm stuck in the EL6 world) but it appears that we are in fact very close.

I do our "server roles" in RPMs today.  I do hope the Fedora roles are modular so I personally don't have to maintain RPMs for common things like installing a running web server.  I've done this for our RPMs by simply adding "-on" RPMs for example postgresql-server-on, httpd-on, etc.

Here are some of the packages that I could contribute but since I'm not and expert they probably have issues or are trivial in the grand scheme of things.  But, these packages have saved us thousand of hours over the long term.

chrony-on
couchdb-on
crond-on
httpd-on
mysql-server-on
nagios-on
ntpd-on
openssh-server-on
postgis-on
postgresql-server-on

A package I just wrote is the "don't install documentation on a headless server package".  I was surprised that I could not find anything like it on the net.  It saves a lot of drive space on servers where you just don't need HTML or man pages.

Thanks,
Mike

mrdvt92