Fedora server implementation straw man

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Jan 29 17:52:30 UTC 2014

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 22:12:58 -0800 (PST)
"Michael R. Davis" <mrdvt92 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I'm hoping that the building blocks are modular enough that users can
> put together their own server roles.

I sure hope so, this is the only way we are going to grow roles over
time. :)

>  I had not been following the
> group recently as I thought our visions had diverged (and I'm stuck
> in the EL6 world) but it appears that we are in fact very close. I do
> our "server roles" in RPMs today.  I do hope the Fedora roles are
> modular so I personally don't have to maintain RPMs for common
> things like installing a running web server.  I've done this for our
> RPMs by simply adding "-on" RPMs for example postgresql-server-on,
> httpd-on, etc. Here are some of the packages that I could contribute
> but since I'm not and expert they probably have issues or are trivial
> in the grand scheme of things.  But, these packages have saved us
> thousand of hours over the long term. chrony-on couchdb-on crond-on
> httpd-on mysql-server-on nagios-on ntpd-on
> openssh-server-on
> postgis-on
> postgresql-server-on

I don't see a need for 'on' packages, but a role could ship a systemd
preset or config that would enable services needed as part of that
config.

> A package I just wrote is the "don't install documentation on a
> headless server package".  I was surprised that I could not find
> anything like it on the net.  It saves a lot of drive space on
> servers where you just don't need HTML or man pages. Thanks, Mike

What does this package contain out of curiosity?

kevin