Fedora server implementation straw man

Michael R. Davis mrdvt92 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 29 19:37:35 UTC 2014

I'm not sure I care how roles gets a running httpd server but, it's a common task that 1000s of people need to do everyday.

In the spec "Require: httpd-on" is a whole lot easier than doing something in a %post section

%post
do_what_needs_to_be_done_to_get_httpd_running_and_open_port_80_on_the_firewall

I guess bottom line it is currently way too hard to deploy applications via RPMs as there's no foundation.  We just need to build the foundations so Apps can be as easy as

Require: httpd-on
Require: postgresql-server-on
Require: perl(App::Whatever)

%files
/etc/httpd/conf.d/App-Whatever.conf

>> A package I just wrote is the "don't install documentation on a
>> headless server package".  I was surprised that I could not find
>> anything like it on the net.  It saves a lot of drive space on
>> servers where you just don't need HTML or man pages.
>
> What does this package contain out of curiosity?

Excerpt...

$ cat rpm-rpmmacros-server.rpmmacros
%_excludedocs 1

$ cat rpm-rpmmacros-server.spec
%define myrootdir /root
cp rpm-rpmmacros-server.rpmmacros $RPM_BUILD_ROOT/%{myrootdir}/.rpmmacros

Please remember we are a small business about 100 people with only three Linux people (none of us are experts). A big company can afford to re-invent the wheel.  We cannot.
Thanks,
Mike

mrdvt92