New Fedora 22 Change Proposal: Fedora Atomic

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Thu Jul 24 01:29:10 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 05:52:29PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> Trying to get ahead of the Change process this time =)
> I'd like to move Atomic under the Server WG as I feel it's a more
> appropriate home for Fedora 22, with the increased scope to bare metal
> installation.  (Really it crosses both as Atomic should run in all the
> clouds that mainline does, but I see Cloud as a specialization of Server
> personally)

Hmmmm -- I'm not sure that's the way we should slice it. Not to lean too
hard on the pets-vs-cattle analogy, but long-term, I think that's the better
distinction -- which probably includes systems running on bare metal under
the "cloud" umbrella. OpenStack and possibly oVirt compute nodes tend to
fall in the "cattle" category too, and one can easily see a server farm
running many near-identical Atomic instances on bare metal.

We *could* go the other way -- cloud being virt guests and server being bare
metal. From the perspective of putting together the release, that does make
some sense, but I think it's mostly a useful distinction from _that_
direction, and not so useful from the user/usecase side.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>