New Fedora 22 Change Proposal: Fedora Atomic

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 03:18:18 UTC 2014

On 23 July 2014 18:29, Matthew Miller <mattdm at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 05:52:29PM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
> > Trying to get ahead of the Change process this time =)
> > I'd like to move Atomic under the Server WG as I feel it's a more
> > appropriate home for Fedora 22, with the increased scope to bare metal
> > installation.  (Really it crosses both as Atomic should run in all the
> > clouds that mainline does, but I see Cloud as a specialization of Server
> > personally)
>
> Hmmmm -- I'm not sure that's the way we should slice it. Not to lean too
> hard on the pets-vs-cattle analogy, but long-term, I think that's the
> better
> distinction -- which probably includes systems running on bare metal under
> the "cloud" umbrella. OpenStack and possibly oVirt compute nodes tend to
> fall in the "cattle" category too, and one can easily see a server farm
> running many near-identical Atomic instances on bare metal.
>
> We *could* go the other way -- cloud being virt guests and server being
> bare
> metal. From the perspective of putting together the release, that does make
> some sense, but I think it's mostly a useful distinction from _that_
> direction, and not so useful from the user/usecase side.

I am not looking at it from cattle, pets, or anything, but is server really
focused on bare-metal as much as the services running on a box whether it
is a vm, a server, a cartridge, or a cow? And is cloud more focused on
images inside of a vm or on the whole ecosystem of a cloud services (eg
there has to be hardware some level down in the turtles of clouds.. right?)

> --
> Matthew Miller
> <mattdm at fedoraproject.org>
> Fedora Project Leader