Fedora Server and Docker

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Jun 2 19:38:32 UTC 2014

> I fail to see how you do that if you have a lot of data and you need to
> "migrate data-files".

Best practice is to keep data outside of containers, on Docker volumes,
or on the host filesystem via bind mounts, or network mounted.

> It becomes a lot more complicated than a yum update, what's the gain ?

I personally for a lot of the code I'm writing today am trying to keep
it
working in both the traditional path, while also thinking about how I
could make it easier to deploy in a container itself, or as part of
a larger container.

There are going to be a vast number of administrators who will likely
prefer to deploy (particularly) critical services traditionally, and we
need to continue supporting them.

The advantages of containerizing though are:

1) Stronger isolation by default via namespacing, and for programs
   which don't have a targeted SELinux policy already, they'll be
   isolated
   via SELinux svirt.
2) Ability to easily deploy old code on new systems
3) Easily *multi-instantiate* services (this is quite painful with
traditional)

Among other things.