Proposal for the Server Role API

Marius Vollmer marius.vollmer at redhat.com
Tue Jun 3 14:14:54 UTC 2014

Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> writes:

> Yeah, we probably need getAvailableRoles()

The proposal had a "roles" property, isn't that enough?

I would also expect the service to implement the ObjectManager interface
so that clients can list all objects and then find all roles by looking
for the org.fedoraproject.ServiceManager1.Role interface.

>> services:a{sas} (ro) # services to be enabled and/or started:
>> "enable": [s] and "start": [s]
>>
>> It seems to me that the caller managing the server doesn‘t need to
>> know that; this is an implementation detail of the role, but I could
>> be persuaded that cockpit needs this for actionable status display.
>>

> Yes, Cockpit will need this for display purposes.

Well, hmm, the proposed API does also cover run-time state, so we might
get away with just using that and ignoring systemd.