Initial set of proposed release criteria for Server product

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Thu Jun 12 01:53:15 UTC 2014

> On Fri, 2014-06-06 at 15:55 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
>
> More criteria considerations:
>
> > * It must be possible to forward system logs from one system running the
> > release to another using rsyslog.
> >
> > * After system installation, the system firewall must be active, and the
> > only ports which may be open are port 22 and any ports associated with
> > server Roles selected during installation. [pace explicit kickstart
> > configuration]
>
> If you look at these two - they kind of mutually contradict a bit. We
> want log forwarding to work, but we're explicitly requiring that any
> port likely to be used for it be firewalled?

I do not see a contradiction, the point say you must be able to forward
logs, not to receive logs. Of course you need a log server, but that
could be anything, Fedora or not, and clearly you do need to configure
it after installation (including any client you may want to get logs
from).

> Would "log server" be a viable role, hence you'd deploy your "log server
> role" and the appropriate firewall ports would be opened as a part of
> that? That could be a long term solution (or even short term, if someone
> wanted to throw that role together).

A log server may be an appropriate role, but for the future.

> Otherwise I can just write an exception for the firewall port into the
> system logging criterion.

No exception is needed in my opinion.

Simo.

--