Initial set of proposed release criteria for Server product

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Jun 16 19:39:21 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-06-16 at 11:51 -0400, Russell Doty wrote:
> What about adding a functional test or smoke test as part of
> installation - have an automated test that validates that the server
> role is functioning correctly. For example, for a dns server verify that
> it can properly resolve addresses.
>
> This would be especially valuable for multi-node applications that
> require multiple systems to be properly configured and communicating in
> order to work correctly.
>
> This proposed requirement is user centric - it reports whether or not
> the application is functioning correctly, rather than a lot of low level
> system details.

This particular thread is about release criteria, not validation tests,
note. It's not comprehensive - note the bit of the post that read
"*excluding* Role functionality - I expect we'll need a whole subset of
criteria for Role functionality, so I figured I can write that up as a
separate batch to keep each chunk a manageable size."

I since drafted up the role criteria and sent an email to server@; see
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Adamwill/Draft_server_release_criteria and https://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/server/2014-June/001245.html .

Per-role functional requirements are certainly something we could add,
and probably a good idea, but they'd have to be done as part of actually
creating the roles. We don't have a DNS server role yet, and it's not in
the set of two roles planned for Fedora 21:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Server/Technical_Specification#Supported_Roles . Those are domain controller and database server.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey