rolekit D-Bus API

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Fri Jun 27 15:29:49 UTC 2014

On 06/26/2014 03:12 PM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> Hello, 2014-06-20 21:10 GMT+02:00 Thomas Woerner
> <twoerner at redhat.com <mailto:twoerner at redhat.com>>:
>
> org.fedoraproject.rolekit1.roles.$name
> -------------------------------------- services:as (ro)         #
> service list: services to be enabled and started
>
> Where “service” means “systemd unit”?
>

> firewall:a{sas} (ro)     # firewall settings: ports and services
> dict { "ports" => array ( portid:s["-"portid:s]"/"__protocol:s ),
> "services" => array( name:s ), } ports are similar to firewalld
> port definitions firewall_zones:as (rw)   # firewall zones to apply
> the firewall settings to custom_firewall:b (rw)   # custom
> firewall: firewall settings will not be applied if set to true
> errorlog:s (ro)          # errorlog string
>
> A single string?  Is there some kind of formatting involved?  Is
> this supposed to be a facade over/replacement for querying
> journald, or would the callers be expected to get the list of
> systemd units and query journal themselves?

This should be a starting point, yes. (Something for a UI to report
easily). Callers wanting more information should be calling journald
directly (eventually using the theoretical messageid or service
descendent tracking mechanism I just brought up in the "Proposal:
Implementation of Server Roles" thread.

> deploy()                 # deploy role (i.e. running initial setup
> post-package-install, ipa-server-install)
>
> How does rolekit get the configuration necessary to deploy a role?

Ah, looks like Thomas forgot to include the dbus codes here. All of
the methods will take arguments. CCing Thomas to get that corrected so
we can discuss this meaningfully.

> updateRole()             # update role: yum update;
> restartServices; updateFirewall
>
> How does the caller know that an update is available?

Good question. We should probably have a signal and an attribute for this.

> getFirewallZones()       # get firewall zone list from firewalld,
> add used ones to firewall_zones
>
> How does this differ from just reading firewall_zones?

This one I'm going to defer to Thomas.