Proposal: Implementation of Server Roles

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Fri Jun 27 15:30:49 UTC 2014

> On 06/26/2014 02:59 PM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> > Hello, 2014-06-19 16:43 GMT+02:00 Stephen Gallagher
> > <sgallagh at redhat.com <mailto:sgallagh at redhat.com>>:
> >
> > Please see the design page I've written at
> > https://fedorahosted.org/rolekit/wiki/Design/RolePackaging and
> > comment on it here.
> >
> > The targets are named fedora-*, but the directory is
> > /etc/server-role (no fedora); should this be consistent?
>

> My intention there was to make the design non-fedora-specific, but
> make it clear that the roles we're installing are clearly for Fedora
> and probably won't work on other platforms without modification.

Makes sense.

I've also been toying with the idea that we should require roles to
> include a journald messageid specific to the role, to make it easier
> to track the logs all the way through. This won't be an F21 target, as
> I need to talk to the journald devs about whether there's any way to
> get journald to add a messageid automatically to messages generated by
> any descendent of a unit (or just track them all the way through). I
> suspect this isn't available today.

We don’t strictly need that: the role API gives anyone the set of relevant
units, and we can ask for all journal messages associated with an unit
(which, true, wouldn’t be exactly instantaneous).  (Using the same
messageid for many different kinds of messages just to record an
association seems like kind of an abuse of the concept :) )

> Tangentially, I’d like the configuration submitted to rolekit
> > (/etc/server-roles/setup/$ROLENAME.config) archived on the system
> > post-deploy, to make “throw away local modifications and redeploy”
> > or “what changed on the system since role deployment?” possible.
> > That’s fairly independent from the role packaging spec,
> > though—rolekit can be saving these anywhere else than
> > /etc/server-roles/setup and the roles don’t need to know about the
> > existence of the archive.
>
> Well, this information will have to be fully-recoverable from the API.
> So yes, it's implicit that this file's content will be stored and
> retrievable.

Ah, of course.  I should have thought of that.
   Mirek