Server File Diffs to Fedora Rawhide

Thomas Woerner twoerner at redhat.com
Mon Jun 30 11:43:28 UTC 2014

On 06/27/2014 05:07 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2014 12:36:32 +0200
> Stef Walter <stefw at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> So this may be obvious to some of you, but how do we handle the case
>> where installed files need to be different between Fedora Server and
>> other Fedora flavors?
>
> You try and avoid that. ;)
>
>> For example for Cockpit to be installed by default we need to:
>>
>>   * Add the cockpit service to all relevant zone files in
>>     /usr/lib/firewalld/zones (currently owned by firewalld rpm).
>>     See 'man firewalld.zone' and 'man firewalld.service'
>
> Can firewalld just add them conditionally somehow ?
> Or detect cockpit somehow and dynamically add them?

Adding distribution/package/spin or flavour specific configuration in
the firewalld code is not what I want to have. This could make behaviour
and/or code analysis a hard task or impossible.

>>   * /etc/pam/sshd needs an addition module, for Cockpit reauthorize to
>>     work with added servers. See:
>>
>>     https://github.com/stefwalter/cockpit/blob/reauthorize/doc/reauthorize.md
>>
>> ... and likely others.
>
> ugh.
>
> I suppose rolekit could make these changes when it enables roles?

I would say a role in rolekit could do this.

>> So I guess the question is how do we adapt behavior of rpms that are
>> installed both on Fedora Server *and* on other Fedora flavors.
>
> You should not and cannot change files in other packages from your
> package, thats just a bad idea.

I suggest to have configuration sub packages for server installs versus
configuration sub packages for the normal installation.

>> Follow up question: How would I install Fedora Server today? What and
>> where are the diffs from the usual Fedora Rawhide represented? Is
>> Fedora Server still a completely theoretical construct at this point?
>
> Yeah, I think we are all still theoretical? Or did we put in an initial
> kickstarts? We should do that soon...
>
> kevin

Thomas