Call for votes: Server Technical Specification

Josh Boyer jwboyer at fedoraproject.org
Sat Mar 1 01:18:25 UTC 2014

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 8:09 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-02-28 at 20:02 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:

>> > I'd like to see if we can at least reach a consensus with the Desktop WG
>> > on the filesystem question before I vote +1 on this. Josh has said he's
>> > going to take another look at the situation.
>>
>> To be clear, the Workstation WG is looking at delivering a live image
>> by default.  The live image itself is ext4 on top of a raw DM device.
>> I am not sure if that can be changed to use XFS instead of ext4, but I
>> don't think LVM makes sense on the live image itself.  I will be
>> mostly asking about the "install to hard disk" default path when I
>> bring it up.
>
> Yes, that's what I'm talking about: the installation path, not the
> format used on the deliverable.

OK, great.

> In case anyone's not aware, the association between the format used for
> the live image itself and the formats allowed for the installed /
> partition no longer exists, that was broken back around F18.

Sheepishly, I was unaware of that until very recently.  It admittedly
clears a few conversations up, while complicated some of the thoughts
I had around defaults.  I guess that's what I get for not installing
every release.  I mean, I had no reason to install from a live image
either, but still.  Oh well.

josh