Call for votes: Server Technical Specification

Simo Sorce simo at redhat.com
Mon Mar 3 16:07:40 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-03-03 at 10:45 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> On 03/03/2014 10:34 AM, Miloslav Trmač wrote:
> > <mailto:sgallagh at redhat.com>>:
> >
> >> * "A mechanism to install optional components of a role after
> >> deployment." Do we really need this?  Could we do without this
> >> complexity?
> >
> > We need this. In the case of FreeIPA (for example) this allows us
> > to install the DNS server or the Winsync capabilities (among other
> > things).
> >

> > Couldn't we just always install the files, and only enable/disable
> > the functionality using the "configuration interface to modify
> > high-level configuration options"? Mirek
> >

> BIND 9 at least is kind of heavy-weight to pull onto the system unless
> you're actually using it. I'm not sure there won't be other cases in
> the future that would be even larger to have lying around. That said,
> if we consider the potential disk space waste acceptable, I'm okay
> with this.

BIND9 is nothing compared to the truckload of dependencies the CA
(dogtag) pulls in (a lot of java related stuff). And the CA is something
you install only on a couple of IPA Servers, not all of them in a large
infrastructure.

So perhaps we can just pull in all the packages for now.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce * Red Hat, Inc * New York