firewalld vs iptables vs ? as default (was Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification)

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Thu Mar 6 22:12:00 UTC 2014

On 03/06/2014 05:06 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> On 6 March 2014 14:54, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net
> <mailto:h.reindl at thelounge.net>> wrote:
>

> Am 06.03.2014 22:43, schrieb Stephen Gallagher:
>> On 03/06/2014 04:28 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>>> Am 06.03.2014 22:13, schrieb Miloslav Trmač:
> <mailto:simo at redhat.com>
> not understand what you are

>>> right direction

>>> that must not happen
>>
>>> * not from usability point of view * not from security point
>>> of view - *no* open ports *never ever* as default
>>
>> The debate here is where you draw the line as to "what is
>> default". Deploying a role is *NOT* the same as just installing a
>> package. For package installs, I absolutely agree that we should
>> never be poking holes in the firewall.
>
> i draw the line *strict*
>
> if i deploy whatever role nobody than me is responsible to open
> firewall ports because nobody than me can know if it is sane to do
> so or what i have planned after the depolyment before go in
> production
>

> Then in this case, you wouldn't want to use Roles in any form as
> they aren't going to help you any. You aren't the target audience
> for them.. trying to make you the target audience would only work
> in your environment and no one elses.

I don't think that's necessarily a fair statement. We fully intend for
the firewall control on these Roles to be easy to turn off and on at
will. Upgrades should never change that state[1]. I don't see any
reason why, under those conditions, Roles couldn't work for Mr. Reindl.

[1] I think I can reasonably assert this without controversy.