firewalld vs iptables vs ? as default (was Comparison to Workstation Technical Specification)

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Fri Mar 7 14:56:17 UTC 2014

> On 03/06/2014 04:28 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> > Am 06.03.2014 22:13, schrieb Miloslav Trmač:
> >> <mailto:simo at redhat.com>>: Sorry I do not understand what you are
> >> saying here.
> >>
> >> $ fedora-role-deploy postgresql # Huh, it is refusing
> >> connections?
>
>> # Ah, firewall...
>
>> $ fedora-role-deploy --open-firewall-ports potgresql
>
>> # That's how it is done in Fedora, then.  Good to know.

<snip>

> So I have no problems at all with Miloslav's suggestion that we just
> require an additional argument (which will have to be translated to
> the API layer in a sensible way) as part of the configuration.

So the above was confusing, that's not what I wanted to suggest.  The
--open-firewall-ports was to be basically "firewall-cmd --permanent
--add-service=postgresql", i.e. change the firewall, not a re-deploy of the
role.  (Though it could have actually been a re-deploy, given our earlier
conversation about cattle-like deployment.)

> Of course, the question becomes one of granularity: I doubt that
> - --open-firewall-ports is necessarily sufficient. In the case of
> multi-homed servers, you still may want to have the service visible
> only on a subset of interfaces. I'd suggest
> - --open-firewall-ports[=iface1,...] as a reasonable compromise (and
> again translated acceptably into the Role config API).

Wouldn't it be simplest to just use (firewall-cmd --permanent
--zone=$my_zone ...) directly?  We could of course build a
"fedora-role-firewall" facade over it if necessary, but firewalld already
has all the necessary functionality AFAICS.

And finally, the config API must also be capable of changing the set
> of open interfaces (such as when local testing has passed and the
> admin now wants to expose the services publicly).

That's a firewalld command away, as well.
    Mirek