Fedora Server Role D-BUS API Design Discussion

Tomáš Smetana tsmetana at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 12:38:54 UTC 2014

Hello everyone.

On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 09:47:20 -0400
Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:

>  1) We want to be able to support two initial clients of this API: the
>     Cockpit management console and a local command-line tool (I've been
>     tentatively calling it 'fedora-role-manage') A third, future option
>     will be to also support remote access to this API via the OpenLMI
>     Project.

Why do we need to separate the local and remote access in the CLI tool?  You
know where I'm heading to...  There's the LMIShell: interactive Python
shell-like environment allowing one to treat the remote CIM objects as local
Python objects, then there is the LMI metacommand on top of it wrapping the
direct CIM manipulations in a human-readable form since knowing the
details of the API itself is something we simply don't want the users to
bother with.

Now replace "CIM" with "D-Bus"...  And at the "metacommand" level you may not
even spot a difference.  When you write about discoverability, API
versioning, etc., I can see so  many similarities with OpenLMI server side
that I really think we don't need a brand new CLI tool to expose this new API.

Regards,
--
Tomáš Smetana
Platform Engineering, Red Hat