Installation Media

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Wed May 7 18:53:21 UTC 2014

> The PRD also calls for a generic network install of one kind or
> another. It has been unclear in past discussions how we plan to handle
> that. If I remember correctly, two approaches have been suggested:
>
> 1) We build a traditional netinstall with anaconda included on it and
> point it at the installable tree on the mirrors based on the DVD.
> Advantage: Tooling is already available. No additional trees need to
> be specified. Potentially can be shared with Workstation if we
> coordinate it.
>
> 2) We use boot.fedoraproject.org and add entries for the Fedora Server
> in the installation selection
> Advantage: Allows us to potentially address serious bugs in Anaconda
> after the stable release. Smaller install media download.

If the options are exclusive, I'm in favor of the former: ability to
install using "ordinary" PXE setups, including data centers that are
strictly firewalled from the internet[1], and minimizing the work needed,
seems preferable to me.
     Mirek

[1] Can I even verify that the code from boot.fp.o hasn't been modified on
the way?