Proposal for F22 Desktop Enviroment

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 21:03:33 UTC 2014

On 22 November 2014 at 21:43, John Unland <opensourcejohn2112 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>

> Implementation: Wayland as a display server with KDE or Gnome (per
> Server SIG's suggestions) as the default DE. Most of the applications
> if not all will be removed including widgets and any fancy graphics.
> Also this would be a great opportunity to apply some GUI tools such as
> Wireshark to the DE.

So a lot of servers only come with 2d only video cards which requires that
a llvm emulator of 3d to be around for various things that KDE and/or Gnome
need. Having recently had to deal with an app that needed a local X this
was extremely painful to try (the Raspberry pi without closed source
drivers had better video performance than this). The app ran fine since it
relied on gtk2 but the rest of the desktop to try and get the app working
was visible redraw city. It was in the end faster to X11 forward to the
laptop even though buttons didn't redraw correctly etc.

The speed issues are a problem that the desktop team aren't interested in
which is part of the reason we have different products. With the fact that
server admins end up using oddball desktops (i3, xfce, lxde, e18, etc etc.)
for lack of 3d reasons..  I am not sure the long fights over which one gets
selected because its the ligthest weight are going to be short either.

Thus I am more for the let the admin install it via a yum command when they
need it and choose what they think is best.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.