Proposal for F22 Desktop Enviroment

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Mon Nov 24 14:02:12 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2014-11-23 at 18:52 -0600, John Unland wrote:
> So from everyone's responses it seems like this a no-go for the GUI.
> But I'm glad to have done it anyways.

Well, I think that it's becoming a general sentiment that a *blessed*
GUI is not aligned with our goals at this point. That doesn't mean
however that we should not make an effort to document how to install any
GUI of your preference manually. If you wanted to write up a blog series
on common or useful graphical server tools, we can publish them on the
Fedora Server blog[1] for people to find.

> >Even having said all that, I wouldn't be against having Cockpit run on
> >a monitor plugged into the server, when that's desired and configured.
> >In fact I used to think this was a prerequisite for Cockpit. But I'm
> >now of the opinion that this is a legacy situation. Neither I nor
> >anyone I'm aware of has put development effort toward it. I wouldn't
> >be against such work however. It's just not a priority.
>
> I like this, but there just needs to be more people that see this as a
> feature that needs to be added into Cockpit...

Well, not necessarily. This could actually be solved at the packaging
level (theoretically) by having the browser's default homepage be set up
as 'http://`hostname`:9090' and automatically started when a graphical
session is launched if you're running on a Fedora Server-based system.
This wouldn't be a tremendously difficult thing to implement, I suspect.
(The trickiest part would be setting the defaults on a wide range of
desktops).

Maybe that's a project you would be interested in taking on, John?

[1] https://fedoraserver-wgblog.rhcloud.com