Proposed Server release criteria for F21 Beta and Final

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Wed Oct 1 02:06:14 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-09-29 at 17:19 -0700, Adam Williamson wrote:
> Hi, folks. So, I drew up a rough draft of the Server release criteria
> for Beta and Final as I suggest they might be. We could kick it around
> at tomorrow's meeting if desired. Here we go:

So, here's the second draft of the Beta criteria, with input from
today's meeting incorporated. TC1 is rolling now or soon, so I'd like to
put these into effect ASAP - if no-one has objections, I'll probably
push them out live tomorrow.

For now I suggest we stuff the FreeIPA requirements into the criteria
explicitly denoted as a temporary measure, and for Final or F22 we
implement the plan to have role requirements defined somewhere else for
the criteria to reference.

------------- CUT HERE ---------------

=== Remote logging ===

It must be possible to forward system logs to a remote system using
Server packages.

=== Firewall configuration ===

Release-blocking roles must be able to report their status in regard to
the system firewall as described in the
[[Server/Technical_Specification#Firewall|technical specification]].

=== Roles ===

Release-blocking roles and the supported role configuration interfaces
must meet the core functional
[[Server/Technical_Specification#Role_Definition_Requirements|Role
Definition Requirements]] to the extent that supported roles can be
successfully started, stopped, brought to a working configuration, and
queried.

=== Cockpit management interface ===

It must be possible to log in to the default Cockpit instance and use it
to:

* View the system's logs
* View the system's running services
* Enrol the system to a FreeIPA or Active Directory domain

=== Domain controller role ===

'''Note''': role requirements are not expected to live in the Release
Criteria in future. The inclusion of requirements for the Server
product's initial role is a one-time exception for Fedora 21.

With the Domain Controller role active and correctly configured:

* Multiple clients must be able to enrol and unenrol in the domain
* Client systems must be able to authenticate users with Kerberos
* The FreeIPA configuration web UI must be available and allow
at least basic configuration of user accounts and permissions

------------- CUT HERE ---------------

How does that sound to everyone? Good enough for a go? Thanks!

We also need test cases to back these criteria. I can work on those, but
help would certainly be appreciated. Creating test cases is a basic use
of mediawiki templating, but it's pretty easy, and explained at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:SOP_test_case_creation . You can also
simply take a look at the source of a simple existing test case, like
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_Server_cockpit_default or
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Testcase_kickstart_firewall , and base
your test case off of that. I'm available on IRC for any questions, and
remember any little detail things can be fixed up later, don't sweat
them too much. If you do take a cut at creating a test case, please mail
the list so I or someone else can check it does the little things right!
Thanks :)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey