"Package sets" release criterion: what to do with it?

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Tue Sep 30 01:22:38 UTC 2014

Hi, folks. I'm checking the release criteria again for Fedora.next
compatibility, and there's an Alpha criterion with obvious issues:

"Package sets

When doing a graphical install using the dedicated installer images, the
installer must be able to install each of the release blocking desktops,
as well as the minimal package set. "

This was obviously written to the world where we had generic installer
images - the DVD, and intentionally-generic netinsts. We do not have
those things any more.

Do we want to dump this criterion entirely, or is there any of it we
would like to keep? For instance, would we consider it 'release
blocking' functionality for you to be able to do some/any of the above
from the Server and/or Workstation network install images *after
configuring the repos manually*? Particularly, the minimal installation?
I'm not sure F21 as currently conceived would offer an avenue for doing
an interactive minimal installation.

Basically, it comes down to: do we want to have a blessed method for
doing a network install of KDE and/or minimal? If so, do we want to
block releases on it?

Thanks!
--
Adam Williamson