Change Proposal to drop i686 in Fedora 24

Joonas Sarajärvi muep at iki.fi
Wed Aug 19 16:29:42 UTC 2015

> On Wed, 2015-08-19 at 18:49 +0300, Joonas Sarajärvi wrote:
>> My impression is that all the non-live installation media are
>> currently somewhat under the Server flavour, even if they seem
>> capable
>> of doing non-Server installations.
>>
>> Would this change leave i686 with only the kind of install media that
>> installs a desktop environment?
>>
>> I think most of my server-ish Fedora installations are "nonproduct"
>> ones, so it would not affect me much if the stuff specific to Server
>> flavour is not available on i686. But I'd really want to have some
>> means of making a minimal nonproduct i686 installation.
>>

> Please take that to FESCo. This discussion is solely about the Fedora
> Server Edition deliverables.

At this point, I was just asking for the sake of making it clear
whether or not the proposed change would have the effect that I think
it could have. If currently all the non-live installation media are
Server installation media, this change has quite large effects on some
Fedora users who are not necessarily Fedora Server users.

I think it would be a good idea to have full, bootable and
kickstartable installer available in a flavour neutral fashion. But
making that happen is indeed a separate issue from figuring out the
possible effects of Server flavour dropping i686 stuff.

- Joonas