network time default, f23

Miroslav Lichvar mlichvar at redhat.com
Mon Aug 31 10:10:39 UTC 2015

On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 03:21:59PM -0600, Chris Murphy wrote:
> chrony is not installed, meanwhile it's installed and the default on
> workstation. Right off the bat it's confusing that server and
> workstation will use different services for time synchronization.

IIRC there was a similar problem in F22. chrony was added to the
server-product group in comps, but that's not the case in the F23
comps.

> ntp and ntpdate are installed, but both are disabled, and I don't even
> know what ntpdate is.

ntp seems to be installed as a freeipa dependency. It's not enabled
by default. There was some discussion that the ipa-*-install scripts
will support chrony as an NTP client and server, but that didn't seem
to happen yet.

> # timedatectl
>       Local time: Fri 2013-08-30 23:32:34 MDT
>   Universal time: Sat 2013-08-31 05:32:34 UTC
>         RTC time: Sat 2013-08-31 05:32:34
>        Time zone: America/Denver (MDT, -0600)
>  Network time on: no
> NTP synchronized: no
>  RTC in local TZ: no
>
> # systemctl enable ntpd
> # systemctl start ntpd
>
> Fixes this, but it seems like something should be enabled by default.

If you want to just enable a (S)NTP client, "timedatectl set-ntp true"
should work in all four combinations of chrony and ntp packeges being
installed or not installed.

--
Miroslav Lichvar