network time default, f23

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Mon Aug 31 18:21:18 UTC 2015

On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 12:05 PM, Miloslav Trmac <mitr at redhat.com> wrote:

>> Why not install chrony as before? To save disk space? I may be biased,
>> but I think it's currently by far the best NTP client there is.
>

> From a testing perspective it is awkward to use chrony by default but have
> one of the flagship roles switch to ntpd instead. Of course, “awkward” is
> not a show-stopper.

OK I'm kinda ignorant here, when I strace timedatectl, it doesn't
enlighten me on how any program is able to get time in a way that
doesn't depend on the ntp client; it seems to me it's rather archaic
for a program to depend on a particular piece of plumbing setting the
time. It's not actually getting the time from that particular ntp
client. All that program should care about is getting the time, and
should trust the time reported is correct.

What it sounds like is FreeIPA by default mistrusts system time, until
it checks for the presence and enabled state of ntpd in order to trust
system time. Is this some throwback to a time when system time
couldn't be trusted?

Separately I'm noticing on atomic cloud (F22), that there is also no
network time set. Chrony and ntpd are not installed and
systemd-timesyncd.service is disabled.  I'd really hate to think we
end up with three completely different ways of syncing time on the
three products.

--
Chris Murphy