Change Proposals for Fedora 23

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Thu Jun 4 12:21:45 UTC 2015

On Wed, 2015-06-03 at 08:43 -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> In addition to the PRD refresh that we are all looking at (*ahem*),
> we
> also need to figure out what are the major efforts we're going to
> engage in during the Fedora 23 cycle. Alpha Freeze for Fedora 23 will
> be on July 28th[1], and that means we need to have at least a
> prototype
> of what we want in Fedora 23 ready by that point.
>
> I'll list some of the things that have been discussed on the mailing
> list and in meetings recently and we can work from there. (I'll also
> include my recommendations inline).
>
> ==============================
> == File-sharing server role ==
> ==============================
> === Benefits ===
>
>  * Simple, easy-to-use mechanism for producing a file-sharing host
> using the CIFS and/or NFS protocols.
>  * Clear gap in our offering today.
>
> === Requirements ===
>  * Development of an API to manage the configuration.
>  * Creation of a server role definition to provide the services.
>  * Graphical interface for manipulating it (likely Cockpit, unless
> another web-based tool can be adapted without sacrificing usability).
>

> === Issues/Risks ===
>
>  * Cockpit developers have indicated they cannot spare the resources
> implement the GUI this cycle.
>
> === Recommendations ===
> Ask for volunteers to work on the management API for Fedora 23 and
> postpone cockpit and rolekit work until Fedora 24.

> == Cockpit GUI for Domain Controller Role ==
> === Benefits ===
>  * Easier setup of initial domain controller.
>  * Demonstration of our commitment to converging capabilities into
> Cockpit
>
> === Requirements ===
>  * UI Design of role creation (started; thanks Andreas Nilsson!)
>  * Resources familiar with JavaScript and D-BUS (acquired: we have a
> GSoC student working on this)
>
> === Issues/Risks ===
>  * Work is being done by a student as part of Google Summer of Code.
> Student projects always carry some risk. GSoC schedule is a good fit
> with the Fedora 23 schedule (recommended pencils-down date is before
> Fedora 23 Beta)
>
> === Recommendations ===
> Let's definitely move ahead with this one. I'm sure our student
> (Turner
> England) will be motivated and excited to see his work featured
> prominently as a deliverable. I will also be personally involved as
> one
> of his two mentors (the other being Peter Volpe of the Cockpit team).
>

> ================================
> == Containerized Server Roles ==
> ================================
> === Benefits ===
>  * Server roles offered by containers will be unaffected by
> underlying
> OS upgrades.
>  * Containers written under the Nulecule specification will be
> possible
> [...]

Some items I forgot yesterday:

==============================
== Stable API Documentation ==
==============================

=== Benefits ===
Having a Fedora-provided repository of the specific set of API (and
ABI) that we guarantee stability or backwards-compatibility will go a
long way towards addressing the concerns around our lack of an LTS
release. Additionally, it will make life easier for our users to have a
single source to look for documentation, rather than the current
situation of having to search out each upstream for documentation.

=== Issues/Risks ===
 * Requires a large time commitment from someone on the Fedora Docs
team to collate the documentation and post it to the Fedora
Documentation site.
 * Requires developer effort to locate and identify the stable APIs
 * Almost certainly cannot all be done in a single release

=== Recommendations ===
 * Locate someone from Fedora Docs to do the collation
 * Start with a set of known-stable APIs (such as glibc and systemd)
and publish those for Fedora 23.

=========================
== API break detection ==
=========================

=== Benefits ===
Provide a taskotron process that will identify API and ABI breaks for
common languages when updates are submitted to Bodhi. If such are
detected, we should disable autopush-by-karma. This will allow us to be
able to better avoid incompatible updates in stable releases of Fedora.

=== Issues/Risks ===
 * Tooling needs to be implemented. (Some help may be available from
libabigail[1])
 * Someone needs to write a taskotron process that will run when
updates are created
 * Available tools for this are currently limited to C/C++ ELF
libraries

=== Recommendations ===
Search out someone to do this work. It is high value for comparatively
little work (since much of the hard work has been solved by
libabigail). Volunteers highly requested.

It would be worthwhile to start with C/C++ and see how things progress
from there.

[1] https://sourceware.org/libabigail/