Docker installed by default due to cockpit dependency chain

Stef Walter stefw at redhat.com
Fri Mar 6 06:32:21 UTC 2015

On 05.03.2015 15:13, Václav Pavlín wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure if that was intentional or not but to be sure, I'd like to
> bring up this dependency "issue":
>
> We've tried to install minimal Fedora with KS where in %packages was
> just @core. This installed
>
> fedora-release-server -> cockpit -> cockpit-docker -> docker(-io)
>
> I understand why Cockpit is installed by default but I don't think
> docker should be part of such minimal install..
>
> My proposal would be to change the dependency so that
> fedora-release-server
>     Requires: cockpit
>
> docker-io
>     Requires: cockpit-docker
>
> This would mean non-existent Containers page in Cockpit in minimal
> install which would magically appear when the user installs docker.

It is indeed up to the Fedora Server WG which features (and packages)
Fedora Server has installed by default.

In Cockpit we will try and respect that, and indeed it is incorrect for
Cockpit to be dragging in large features via dependencies.

A few notes:

 * It seems like docker is (becoming?) a staple feature of a modern
   server, much like sendmail would have been a decade ago.

 * Based on user feedback, the Containers page is the most used feature
   of Cockpit.

 * docker is only available on x86_64 ... ditto for cockpit-docker

 * Since the cockpit-0.41 release, we can remove cockpit-docker and the
   'Containers' UI will disappear within Cockpit. Previously it was more
   tightly bound.

 * The cockpit-docker package has no dependencies other than docker and
   consists solely of a few resource files (javascript, html, etc.)

Cheers,

Stef