Fedora 23 Server: Fate of i686?

John Unland opensourcejohn2112 at gmail.com
Tue May 5 17:22:02 UTC 2015

On 5 May 2015 at 10:08, Stephen Gallagher <sgallagh at redhat.com> wrote:
>> One thing that came up near the end of today's Server SIG meeting was the question of whether to support Server Roles as Docker containers in Fedora 23. The primary reason for holding off on this in the past was that only x86_64 systems could run Docker. This left i686 and armv7hl (our other two primary architectures) out in the cold if we went this path.
>>
>> However, in recent months, support for Docker has been added to armv7hl. With now only one of Fedora's primary architectures lacking Docker support, it's time to reconsider. There are some strong arguments in favor of containerizing the Server Roles, notably the ability to update the Fedora Server platform and the roles independently. I think we'll likely experiment with creating a containerized Role during the Fedora 23 development phase.
>>
>> Of course, with i686 being the only outlier, it begs an obvious question: Is i686 interesting to us in Fedora Server? I'm not discussing Fedora as a whole: there's plenty of value in supporting i686 for Workstation and for other spins, but it might not be as interesting to this space. The most common reason for the i686 argument is for the repurposing of old hardware, but I have trouble seeing much old hardware being used for Server tasks these days (at least, hardware so old that it cannot run the 64-bit version).
>>

>So since server is the only version which isn't live only (eg the one
with the standard dvd.iso) this might be affecting more of Fedora as a
whole than you think. 'Modest proposals' aside.. I would make sure you
announce this very publically to get feedback (which you will). This
way you don't end up in news article about how insensitive you are to
the poor or have a campaign 3/4 of the way through 23 to get it
reversed.

>> I'd like to propose that we stop shipping Fedora Server install media for i686 in Fedora 23. It would still be possible to install the majority of the package set by using the (planned) generic netinstall image in Fedora 23, so if someone *really* wanted a 32-bit version minus the Docker bits, they could get it.
>>

>Most of the i686 traffic I see is in places where networks are not the
greatest so trying to install via net may not be what people will
want. Personally I believe a i686 community will need to be built up
to deal with this problem but it is a potential argument of why you
'cant stop'.

I'll start off with the i686 stuff, I think i686 is still relevant.
But we should just keep it in the netinstall image for the F23. I
could also see it being used for SMB's that are on a budget and need
to use old hardware that's still i686 based. As for Docker and
containerizing the roles, I second a proposal. Sidenote: Been busy
lately with finals and getting a internship so I've been completely
inactive to the Server SIG.