Some analysis of dependencies in Fedora Server

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 19 13:09:56 UTC 2015

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 10:02:58PM -0400, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
> So, for each of the output files, what you will see is the recursive
> (non-repeating) count of the number of packages necessary to satisfy
> the dependencies for every package on the system.

Here's some pre-coffee comments. :)

[...]
> xkeyboard-config: 1
> emacs-filesystem: 1
> tigervnc-icons: 1
> dnf-conf: 2
> liberation-fonts-common: 2
> mariadb-errmsg: 2
> langtable-data: 2
> basesystem: 17
> setup: 17

The above pull in /bin/sh, and therefore I think the jump here (there
are a bunch more 17s) is the cluster of packages around "glibc with
bash"). And the 18s are one step up -- packages which require that but
nothing else. It's kind of encouraging to see that there are a lot of
those. At the 19s, though, things start to explode.

[more cut]
> systemd: 101

Might it be interesting to pick this as a sort of line in the sand;
what does the list look like if we subtract these 101 packages from all
of the rest?

(Not to say that we shouldn't look for wins in the systemd dep tree
too, but maybe it's a way to help split the problem?)

/me goes to get coffee...

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>