RFC Fedora 23 Change idea

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Mon May 25 23:44:49 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I was thinking today that for Fedora 23 it would really cool to deliver a NAS
version of Fedora 23. I could see it being delivered in 2 formats.

1 an atomic based disk image. it could be preinstalled, you dd the image onto
a disk or a usb stick plug it in and boot, you could use initial-setup to set
a root password, set timezone etc, then use cockpit to manage and configure.
my thought here is that you could use a mirco-atx system with 4 or 6 sata
ports and you use all the disks for data and boot and run the system from a
small piece of media, 16 or 32G usb stick for instance. or even a beaglebone
black or similar arm based device with a attached usb disk

2 as a option you can select on a regular install.

The roles would be iscsi( or some other block device), nfs, smb/cifs. all
managed and configured using cockpit, a user could carve up the attached disk,
be able to alloacte nfs or smb/cifs or export some raw space as a block
device, for use in vms etc.

I know it is a pretty rough outline but figured I would get something out and
some discussion to see if what others thought.  I think especially the atomic
version could be really useful. a very simple way to get some storage up and
running and use and keep it updated. especially long term, since going from
Fedora 23 to 24 should be a simple atomic update.

Regards

Dennis